Hermin Dowe, Attorney at Law

Immigration Law

North Bay | Pleasant Hill | San Pablo

Consular Processing

Consular Processing occurs in two situations:

  • Non-immigrant Consular Processing: At many US embassies and consulates, individuals seeking a non-immigrant visa must use the DS-160 non-immigrant Visas Electronic Application. Most importantly, you need to prove that you have a residence outside of the United States and that you do not intend to permanently leave that residence.
  • Immigrant Consular Processing: Individuals outside of the US who wish to immigrate to the U.S. should go to their US embassy or consulate to apply for an immigrant visa (US green card).

Consular processing is usually quicker than the adjustment of status process in the United States, but there are some risks. For example, your attorney may not be allowed to attend your immigrant visa interview at the consulate. Speak with an attorney to learn the best options.

Awards & Reviews

  • avvo
  • kudzu
  • member